Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Guppy Eye

If you couldn't tell by now, I did a big project with guppy embryos when I was in school. Here's another image. Click to enlarge.
This is a 500 nm thick cross section of the eye of a guppy embryo. The lens (bottom part) of the eye was a bit deformed, but I think the rest of it survived the sample processing in tact. It was stained with Polychrome Blue and imaged on an optical light microscope. The interesting thing about this image is how it was constructed. I used a 40x lens and captured about 40 images. They were then manually stitched together in Photoshop (I was using CS1, when there was no option to do it automatically). Once completed, the image was 14,400 x 10,800 pixels (about 155 megapixels) and storage about a half of a gigabyte! I drastically reduced the size in order to publish it here, but I think it still looks pretty crisp. The original version could be zoomed in and viewed at high magnification.

No comments:

Post a Comment